Discussion Forum

What's the biggest ...

Notifications
Clear all

What's the biggest problem you face when it comes to research?

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
15.4 K Views
TahirKhanCEO
(@tahirkhanceo)
Admin
Topic starter  

Research has been mandatory in the attainment of almost all educational degrees. Yet not many experts are available to provide proper guidance in the field. Unfortunately this has led to mushrooming of countless 'pseudo-experts'. To say the least, this is worsening the already deteriorated situation of research in terms of both quality and quantity. 

This forum is to pinpoint the very basic problems our young researchers face in order to conduct good quality research. 

Your feedback in this regard is of utmost importance. 

Best

TRK

(@jabeen-sultana)

During Literature review , Mostly we face that every work has been done . How can we find the difference that our study is different ?

ReplyQuote
TahirKhanCEO
(@tahirkhanceo)
Admin
Topic starter  

Well Jabeen, thank you for your question, I think this is a very valid query almost all research students face some time in their research career. Its a long debate but I'll try to cover the key points.

There are many ways to do so. But let me explain the common mistakes young researchers do when they are reviewing the literature in order to develop their own research topic:

1. Not pinpointing the problem: Most people start reviewing the literature with a very broad concept. For example, even in a group of Assistant Professors (of which I am a member of), proposed to conduct research on "Vitamin D".  ?   My question then was "What about Vitamin D??? the levels?? the reasons of low levels in our population?? Its effects on health??.. What?? there's an infinite list of questions related to Vitamin D alone and is a very broad topic. So as I have always taught you people and almost every student of mine, be specific while searching the literature!!

2. Most of people think, 'already a lot has been published on the topic', THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL! there are a number of ways in which you can make your research question unique and important. Take the example of anemia, if I were to ask you will you work on anemia? you would probably reply,'WHY? THERE'S ALREADY SO MUCH PUBLISHED ABOUT ANEMIA', however your response should be 'WHAT TO RESEARCH ON ANEMIA?'. And by the way if it were true that ALOT has been published about anemia, why don't we even have a national level prevalence of anemia reported anywhere in the literature. If a lot has been published about Diabetes, why there is no national level survey report regarding the prevalence of Diabetes??

Its always the way you look at things. Take TB for example. My PhD topic is related to TB and Smoking!! :D, Don't you think both these topics are well published? Well to open your eyes, what I'm doing as my PhD topic, THERE IS NOT A SINGLE RCT REPORTED FROM THE ENTIRE WORLD!! proof? see the link below

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26777994   

3. Third problem is when you are searching the literature and reviewing it you simply conclude that 'this has been done' by looking at the title or at most the abstract. This is not how literature review is done. You have to be inquisitive and look for potential gaps in the study, knowledge gaps! Also note where and when the article was published and study was conducted, what was the sample size, what was the methodology, can you improve upon the methodology? ask all these questions while reading the full text. 

Obviously you'll not be the first one to conduct a research on Immunity status in children, or Tuberculosis or depression, but you might find a gap in the published literature and try to answer that question through your own research. 

Hope the answer benefits you and others

TRK

ReplyQuote
Share:
Online Shopping in BangladeshCheap Hotels in Bangladesh